Welcome to Oxford Dictionaries, a space for you to contribute to the creation of digital language resources, share your views and opinions with fellow language-lovers, and get answers to your questions.
About Oxford Dictionaries
We encourage you to submit new entries and translations to build a dictionary. You can ask questions about words and translations, and answer questions that are posted. You can discuss your views about language and words, and ask others for their opinions.The Language Manager is the community manager and your point of contact. They are here to support the development of resources and ensure all contributions and comments adhere to the guidelines detailed here. Please note that the Language Manager will not be able to answer questions about the content and services available through the Oxford Dictionaries site as a whole. If you have a question about an Oxford Dictionaries product or subscription, or an enquiry about one of our dictionary entries, please visit the Help page (please note: this content is in English).
We welcome contributions from all speakers. The following behaviour will not be accepted in any type of post, comment, or contribution on the Website:
- Any behaviour to other members or visitors to the Website (and its subdomains) which could be deemed aggressive or abusive.
- Use of vulgar or offensive language (except in the context of a scholarly discussion about such language).
- Any posts of a commercial nature, advertising, promoting, or selling products and services (unless it is a recommendation specifically requested by another member).
- Trolling (“to make a deliberately offensive or provocative online post with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them”).
- Topics unrelated to language and words.
- Materials that are unlawful, threatening, harassing, profane, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libellous, deceptive, fraudulent, contain explicit or graphic descriptions or accounts of sexual acts (including but not limited to sexual language of a violent or threatening nature directed at another individual or group of individuals), invasive of another’s privacy or hateful.
- Materials that constitute or encourage conduct that would constitute a criminal offence or give rise to civil liability.
- Materials that contain a virus, spyware, or other harmful component, advertising of any kind, or false or misleading indications of origin or statements of fact.
- Deliberately false or misleading information.
- Materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary or intellectual property right, without first obtaining permission from the proprietary or intellectual property rights holder.
- Any sensitive, personal, proprietary or confidential information about yourself or others in your comments.
We reserve the right to monitor all postings to the Website for anything which contravenes these guidelines; as a result, some posts may be sent for moderation before publishing and, consequently, there may be a delay in the posting appearing on the Website.
We reserve the right to block without warning or discussion any user who does not adhere to these guidelines, and remove all previous posts and contributions.
Accuracy and honesty
We ask that you do not misrepresent yourself on your profile. It is the Oxford Dictionaries policy that members communicate with each other using their real name, for reasons of accountability and transparency.
Content posted by users will initially appear as ‘user contributions’, and will be subsequently validated by other Oxford Dictionaries users or internally by OUP.
The opinions and other information contained in OxfordWords blog posts and comments do not necessarily reflect the opinions or positions of Oxford University Press.